Digital Signage Blog
Basics of Designing Content for Digital Signage
Far too often we forget that when we communicate we’re attempting to share something with someone else. Communication is a mutual experience as opposed to a “push” system that merely sends information from one source to another. This is especially applicable when designing content for digital signage. The message being shared should engage the audience so they understand the message and take the appropriate action.
Delivering information to an endpoint isn’t necessarily successful communication. It takes careful consideration to craft the message and effort on both the recipient’s and sender’s part. Although it’s impossible to control the audience’s viewing patterns, preconceptions or distractions, working hard to break through those barriers to convey clear, unambiguous communications is so important
Poor communications in any form causes confusion and results in missed opportunities. This may seem obvious, but getting back to basics can clean up clumsy processes that produce poor communications. Messages can become static or unwelcome when only one side is considered. Rather than asking what I need show, ask: what do they need to know?
Following these simple steps, can help establish clear and effective communication:
- Distill what you need to convey to its simplest form
- Determine exactly what you want the viewer to take away from the communication
- Determine the best means to deliver the information
- Craft and deliver your message accordingly
- Follow up to be sure the recipient understood your communication accurately
Once the fundamental components of the communications process is understood, success rates can improve. Knowledge of the audience, the form and method of the message, and follow up all play a part in how communications are perceived.
- Digital Signage Content Design Isn’t Always Black and White
- 7 Steps to Digital Signage Success
- Who is Your Company’s Digital Signage Champion?
- truDigital Signage Partners with Current, Powered by GE, to Increase the Impact of In-Store Digital Marketing
- Creating Better Restaurant Experiences with Digital Signage